1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layer Hens on Gallimycin for first time -- Questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ronn, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Ronn

Ronn New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Hamilton Ontario Canada
    I have 9 hens, 2 Columbian, 2 barred rocks, 2 red sex links, 3 "comit" sex links and 1 black sex link. I recently got 6 of them from a farm where they were in very close quarters with 50-60 birds. After I got home I noticed that a few (2, possibly 3) of the new girls have a bit of a respiratory problem (sounds like emphysema from time to time, like a rattling when they breathe) and the rare sneeze.

We are in southern Ontario so we are just getting out of winter, so I figured now is a good time to get this. I have been mixing 2g's of Gallimycin to 2 litres (sorry Canadian, eh) of water as per the manufacturers instructions. Today is the last day of the 5 day cycle. So here are the questions.

1.) I have read alot of your forums before/during and even today, and it sees Gallimycin has only 1 day withdrawls, the guy at the fe1ed store (co-op) said to wait a week before eating, and the package says not to use on layers (which every resource online says is not true) I just wanted to hear what you guys/girls thought of how long until we start to eat these... They are massive, a few dbl yolkers and all perfect its hard to resist

2.)These girls have been laying, I have almost a dozen eggs that didnt freeze that I have held aside during the antibiotics, I will not eat them, however, I wanted your guys opinion of making scrambled eggs for them? Or should I just toss them? Seems like a waste to lose all that protein

Look forward to hearing what your thoughts are

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. In a previous thread Dawg 53 said that there was a 24 hour egg withdrawal for Gallkmhcin, and to discard any eggs. The chickens would continue to get the gallimycin from eggs they eat prolonging the withdrawal time. Hope that helps.

3. Ronn

Ronn New Egg

Mar 3, 2016
    Hamilton Ontario Canada
    I was ready to wait 7 days, if it truely is 24 hours, I would gladly wait another day probably will regardless

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would trust just about anything that Dawg53 posted. He is quite experienced.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by