Layer Pellets: Dumor or Agway?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by billmac, Aug 12, 2010.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I've been feeding Agway Layer pellets. My wife wants to switch to Dumor. I don't have an Agway label handy, but the Dumor label contains a lot of things I don't recognize. We're a little concerned that our hens aren't eating the oyster shells we give them and the Dumor has calcium carbonate as an ingredient, so we thought this might ensure adequate calcium. The dumor prints in bold letters that it doesn't contain ruminant meat or bonemeal. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't have other types of meat added. I'm pretty sure the Agway said it contains only vegetable protein.

Any suggestions? Anyone with experience with both? I don't sell my eggs as organic but I do like to tell customers that their feed is as natural as possible.

2. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I use Blue Seal. 12.50 for 50 lbs at my local feed store for layer pellets. My mallards love the stuff.

3. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:If you are feeding either the 16% or 21% Agway layer, it should have the same calcium amount in as Dumor. All layer feed has added calcium.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    We have never tried the Agway but I can say that my chickens seem to prefer the Dumor brand.

5. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I found an Agway label. They are pretty much identical except the Agway specifically states it is made with plant protein, whereas the Dumor says it is made without ruminant meat or bonemeal. I suspect that means their protein is, in part, from meat of animals other than cows (or goats/sheep).

I'm not keen on feeding meat to my chickens. I don't think my customers would like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by