Layer pellets v/a Crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Orpie, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Ok so is it a requirement that I feed my girls pellets, or can I feed them crumbles? What is the difference between the two?? Starter feed is crumbles so that's what they are used to & I'm concerned that they won't want the pellet. HELP!!!!

2. LovemyBabies

LovemyBabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Marysville,Washington
    Pellets they get more of the stuff in the feed at one time vs the crumble- we had to go to crumble being ours wouldn't touch pellets - it was either that or they wouldn't eat - It's all up to you- you could get a small amount of pellet and test to see if they eat it

3. PrplHartJarHead

PrplHartJarHead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    Around us, most farm and fleet supply stores sell chicken feed in the form of crumbles. There are some that are pellets, but they are the minority. We have a mixed breed flock of 20 birds which are all layers; Australorps, RIR, Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers and they have all done amazingly well on crumbles.

We free range our birds and supplement their feed and ranging with a nutrient dense scratch block, which they love. We also mix oyster shell into their feed. There is so much information out there about chickens, on this site, and from your local hatcheries, etc. What my wife and I have learned most is that they are hardy animals and resilient. For this reason, you should not feel intimidated in trying out new things that may add to your flocks' quality of life, which in turn increases their egg production as well as your quality of life.

Hope this helps you out!

4. Orpie

Orpie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Georgia
    We,too, have been mixing both oyster shell & grit in with their crumbles now for almost 2 weeks. I used to give lots of treats.... IE kale, spinach, cooked pasta noodles, rice, & watermelon... But not too much anymore. We focus them mainly on their diet and a good 4 seed scratch as a treat. We have a mixed flock as well. RIR, Buff Orps, Black Australop, and Barred Rocks.

5. PrplHartJarHead

PrplHartJarHead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here are a few of our little chickies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by