1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layer pellets vs. layer crumbles

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman17, Nov 4, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I was in Orscheln's today and I noticed they have layer pellets and layer crumbles. They were both the same brand, weight, and protein content. Yet the pellets were $4 higher than the crumbles. Why is that? What's the difference?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess because it takes more processing to press the pellets. I have mine on crumbles now (from Mash) I was told a lot of chickens really don't like the pellets?? I have found I have a lot less wast with the crumbles from the lay mash. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:There is less processing time in crumble than in pellet.

Chris

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

When I tried to put my chickens onto pellets, they sure did not like it much and made a mess.

My flock prefers crumbles.

5. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Quote:I use the pellets and my flock seems to like them just fine. So they are the same in nutrition?

6. Pink Delphinium

Pink Delphinium Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2009
    I just started my chickens on pellets a few weeks ago...at first, they weren't sure what it was I had given them. I threw a few on the ground and they got the hang of it. I'm finding that they are much more economical as the chickens fill up quicker on them and there is no waste. You know how chickens search through their feed, throwing part of it out of the feeder? That doesn't happen with the pellets. I'd been feeding them crumbles for years, but I think I'll be sticking with pellets now.

7. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    nutrition is the same.......and there is less waste with pellets....they just have to get use to them if they havent had them before

8. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Ok well thanks for the comments everyone! Much appreciated! [​IMG]

9. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    Mine like the pellets just fine...and a lot less waste. The crumbles were always on the ground [​IMG]

10. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:There is less processing time in crumble than in pellet.

Chris

Really? Because sometimes I notice in the crumbles there are a few whole pellets left - I always just guessed that they made the pellets, then ground them for the crumbles...huh...the feed store I use sells them at the same price though...maybe they do it different at the feed place I use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by