Layer pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by madmantrapper, Sep 17, 2009.

1. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    I just read another post that said layer pellets contain calcium. Does that mean if I am using layer pellts I don't need to put oyster shell out?

2. brandyballard

brandyballard New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    I am not sure but i leave the ostershell for them

3. TM Chickens

TM Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Alabama
    If the pellets are all they are eating, yes. Laying pellets are designed to be a complete diet for hens. But if the hens are free range, or have access to bugs or grass, then they will still need calcium.

4. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Some chickens need more calcium than others. For some chickens, the calcium in the layer feed will be enough. But for others, they just need more.

For that reason, I put out free choice oyster shell in a separate dish. Its amazing how chickens just know when they need more and will eat it.

[​IMG]

5. madmantrapper

madmantrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Maryland
    OK thanks I'll leave it. They have a very large run, 20 x 30, and also free range several hours a days.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. The layer pellets I use have 3-4% calcium, but I have two hens that need the extra calcium of the OS, otherwise their eggshells are more fragile than I like to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by