1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layer vs grower food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by debakadeb, Jul 30, 2008.

1. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I purchased my chickens from TSC on April 11th. I assumed they were about 3-4 days old when I purchased them. That would put them at maybe 16 weeks of age. I figured they would start laying in about a month or so. Because of that, today I bought grower food.

I came home to an EGG. Talk about excited. So..a question for the experts. Can I go ahead and feed them the grower food and supplement it with oyster shell or do I need to go exchange the food for layer pellets?

The egg was a very nice shape with a hard shell. Very small but I feel like a brand new MOM.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can keep them on grower and offer oyster shell free choice. When you run out, buy layer. Congrats!

3. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you should go take it back and get the layer feed. Congratulations on becoming a new egg mom!

4. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think since only one chick is laying, I'll keep the grower for the rest and offer the oyster shell free choice. Thank you both for your reply. [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Congrats on the egg!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also would keep them on the grower til everyone is laying then switch over to layer.......Congrats on that first egg!!

7. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    congrats.. I would use up the grower then switch to layer

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I may be wrong for doing it this way but i have always mixed flock raiser with layer crumble along with scratch grains when they are about 18 weeks or older. I have never had a problem with egg production or weak shells. I never offer oyster shells i bought it once and they never ate it. I have had some of my birds for over a year and never had any issues with nutrition or egg problems. All my birds are healthy and happy. Congrats on the egg too [​IMG] !

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. debakadeb

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think mine are at best 17 weeks old but I think more like 16. I know that they were babies when I got them on April 11th. They could have been one week old. I got them the same day that TSC got them into the store. Because 4 of the 5 are sex links, that is probably why one is laying so early. So far, the 2 eggs I've gotten have had very strong shells. Can't wait for each day to see what I'm going to find [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Best of luck to you and your new laying hens [​IMG] i just got my first egg from one of my girls who hatched on 3-17 of this year [​IMG] i just love those pleasant surprises when you go out to collect the eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by