layer vs grower food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by debakadeb, Jul 30, 2008.

1. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I purchased my chickens from TSC on April 11th. I assumed they were about 3-4 days old when I purchased them. That would put them at maybe 16 weeks of age. I figured they would start laying in about a month or so. Because of that, today I bought grower food.

I came home to an EGG. Talk about excited. So..a question for the experts. Can I go ahead and feed them the grower food and supplement it with oyster shell or do I need to go exchange the food for layer pellets?

The egg was a very nice shape with a hard shell. Very small but I feel like a brand new MOM.

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

You can keep them on grower and offer oyster shell free choice. When you run out, buy layer. Congrats!

3. I think you should go take it back and get the layer feed. Congratulations on becoming a new egg mom!

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think since only one chick is laying, I'll keep the grower for the rest and offer the oyster shell free choice. Thank you both for your reply. [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Congrats on the egg!

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I also would keep them on the grower til everyone is laying then switch over to layer.......Congrats on that first egg!!

7. annrich

annrich Songster

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    congrats.. I would use up the grower then switch to layer

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I may be wrong for doing it this way but i have always mixed flock raiser with layer crumble along with scratch grains when they are about 18 weeks or older. I have never had a problem with egg production or weak shells. I never offer oyster shells i bought it once and they never ate it. I have had some of my birds for over a year and never had any issues with nutrition or egg problems. All my birds are healthy and happy. Congrats on the egg too [​IMG] !

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. debakadeb

debakadeb Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think mine are at best 17 weeks old but I think more like 16. I know that they were babies when I got them on April 11th. They could have been one week old. I got them the same day that TSC got them into the store. Because 4 of the 5 are sex links, that is probably why one is laying so early. So far, the 2 eggs I've gotten have had very strong shells. Can't wait for each day to see what I'm going to find [​IMG]

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Best of luck to you and your new laying hens [​IMG] i just got my first egg from one of my girls who hatched on 3-17 of this year [​IMG] i just love those pleasant surprises when you go out to collect the eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: