layer with naked inflamed area around vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmmerz, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mmmerz

mmmerz New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello folks, I've got a chicken with a problem and would love some feedback. She's a 7 year old Americauna. There is a naked, slightly inflamed area around her vent. To one side of the vent there is a one inch diameter swelling. I don't see any sign of a scrape or other injury. She is otherwise quite healthy with good plumage, good energy and laying 4 to 5 eggs per week. My other 4 hens are fine. I've been told that she's quite old and this may be the beginning of her decline. Any ideas ? Thanks and happy chickens !

2. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Is she maybe egg bound?

3. mmmerz

mmmerz New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi, No not eggbound. She just laid a whopper of an egg today. I did give the swelling a feel this evening and it seems to be spherical. When I squeezed it gently she didn't react as if it were painful but nibbled my leg as if I were scratching an itchy spot. Hmmm.

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
  5. mmmerz

mmmerz New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    Thank you very much. That was very helpful information. Wouldn't surprise me if she did have a hernia considering how often she lays at her advanced age. She also thinks she's a duck and lays gigantic eggs. Still awed every time she gives me another big, blue bomb. I'm assuming, based on the conversation I read, that there is nothing to do but keep her happy, as usual.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by