1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layers in north Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hawthornechix, Jan 25, 2013.

1. hawthornechix

hawthornechix New Egg

Jan 25, 2013
    North Texas
    Howdy everyone! My husband and I recently bought a house in North Texas and are planning to add a small backyard flock soon. We're interested in good layers who make good pets and can tolerate the heat. Haven't gotten our chicks yet, but they will probably be 4-5 total, made up of Ameracaunas/EEs, buff orpingtons, barred rocks, silver wyandottes, stars (if I can find them!), and hopefully a silkie just because they're so darn cute. This is mostly based on feed store availability, so I'm trusting that these are breeds that do fine in the heat despite what I've read.

I'm getting geared up to brood some day old chicks soon... but my main question for others in a similar climate is when do I get them? Everything I read says to get chickens in April/May, but by that time it is already very hot in Texas.. and certainly it will be VERY hot by June/July when they would be ready to go out to the coop. I'm assuming that like gardening the ideal start date would be sooner, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone have experience?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!! Glad you joined.

3. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    I raise Wyandottes, Ameraucanas, and Speckled Sussex. They all do ok but I think the heat is probably hardest in the Ameraucanas because they have the smallest combs. The comb is one way they regulate their body tempeature.

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Best of luck getting your new chicks. My opinion is like yours-the sooner the better :)

5. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

6. Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you aboard! I'm from North Tx also :)

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, hawthornchix, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard!! If you want a little more choice, you might consider ordering from a large hatchery (which is where the feed store gets them anyway). I know Ideal Poultry is out of Texas - and below is a link to various hatcheries. If I could give you one note of caution....last summer was rough here in Kansas - like most of the U.S., I know...but of all the chickens I had, my Buff Orps and Black Australorps seemed to suffer the most - such dense feathering. Again, looking at a hatchery gives you more choice. Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by