Layers mash or chicken pellet? What is best?

skywalker786

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
Hi

Q1. My chickens are 24 weeks old I have been feeding them layers Mash, should I switch to chicken pellet?

Q2. What do people in this forum feed chickens over 24 weeks, mash or pellet?

Q3. If I switch from mash to pellet should I mixed the mash with pellet for a few weeks so they get used to it? If so how many weeks should I do this for?

Q4. My chickens egg yolk are bright yellow, should they not be orange like in the shops, will feeding pellet make it orange?

Q5. What is best for chickens 24weeks + mash or pellet?

Q6. Should I let my chickens out in the rain? Will they catch a cold ? Lol

Q7. What other household foods can I feed my chickens which humans eat?

Many thanks
s

Many people find that they waste less feed when it is given in pellets. Some flocks resist the pellets when they are used to mash, but when they get hungry enough, they will eat them. If you mix them to try to get them to switch over, they may just eat the mash and leave the pellets behind -- but you can try, it might work. I never had a problem when I switched; they would eat whatever was in front of them. I feed layer pellets now because they amake less mess, also because it moves in the store well and seems to be the freshest. I donbt feeding pellet will change the yolk color, but ou never know it depends on what's in the forumula, I would think. I imagine this is wh they feed them marigold parts. Mostly the color of yolk in m flock is related to what weeds the are getting; they are darker in the summer.

In short, what is "best" is what works best for you. The nutritional formula may be identical between the mash and pellet, or if you read closely, you may find one has a touch more protein, or even some animal sourced protein. The latter is getting harder and harder to find, unfortunately.

Here's a link to the BYC treats chart:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I feed mine pellets, mostly because it's not as messy as other alternatives. If you have leftover mash, you could mix it in just so you're not having to toss out feed.

Yolks become more colorful when chickens are out eating bugs and weeds and such. But if yours don't free range, you could give them mealworms and dark greens or something like that.

Chickens will often seek shelter on their own in a heavy rain… But sometimes not. They don't "catch colds" that I know of.

There are lots of things that you can feed your chickens from your kitchen. Produce scraps, meat scraps etc. Avoid salt and sugar. Some seeds are not good for them and others are great for them. There's a great list on here somewhere. Anyone out there have the url for the treat list?

images

Welcome to BYC!

Feeding mash, crumbles or pellets is a personal preference and of course what your birds prefer. Some chickens don't care for pellets and some make such a mess with crumbles. Seems like all birds like wet mash. So what ever really works for you. I feed my birds in those little black tubs you can get at the feed store. There is little waste as they can't scoop the feed out and rarely do the bowls tip over. If you are doing a feed change, it is always best to mix the new stuff in over a few weeks so they can get used to it.

Chickens really don't care for the rain, but yes, they can go out in it and not catch a cold. Chickens don't get colds per say. They can however get respiratory ailments, generally from being exposed to other sick birds, living in over crowded conditions, no ventilation in the coop, or having weak immune systems.

Judy left you with the link to our treats chart. Lots of goodies you can feed your birds.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! To double check when you say Chicken Pellet, you are talking about Layer Pellets, the same identical thing so far as ingredients go as Layer Mash, just in a different shape. X4 mash or pellets is personal preference, here is an interesting little poll on what people prefer to feed, so far pellets are winning pretty well https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/833725/mash-pellets-or-crumbles-poll
For Orange yolks it depends on what is in the feed, you can add things to their diet to make yolks more orange here are some suggestions from http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/bookstore/pubs/EP127.pdf
Yellow to orange yolks
Seaweed meal (algae), dehydrated alfalfa meal, corn, gluten meal, flower petal meal, dried chili peppers, powdered
African red peppers, dried sweet potatoes, dried carrots, corn oil, products, food grade fat soluble, dyes, etc.
Feed recommended levels of xanthophyll bearing materials for desired egg yolk color.
Yellow =13 mg of xanthophyll per lb of feed
Medium orange = 23 mg of xanthophyll per lb of feed
Orange = 34 mg of xanthophyll per lb of feed.
Maximum color will be present 10 days after the
hens are placed on feeds for yolk color.
Good article on yolk color http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/31/pale-yolks

Back
Top Bottom