Layers not pluckers... hopefully lol

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Newlychickening, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Newlychickening

Newlychickening Chirping

Aug 10, 2019
    Jacksonville, Tx
    Hey Y’all,
    I’m Trey & new to raising chickens my brother order 10 RIR chickens for Dad & myself we went in halfs with me paying Dad back!!! They came in around 2nd or 3rd week of April!!! Very excited about it & ready for them to start laying asap!!! I have RIR’s from TSC 7 of the 10 are still chickening!!! Is that even a thing or is it just me lol? I really love having them just watching them & such!!! ⬅️Not the right breed but it’ll do?‍ So I got little ladies to to hobby farm eat, cleaner & hopefully be a little cheaper on eggs down road. Well that’s the plan anyway I keep telling folks raising chickens is a marathon & I’m in it for the long haul... but mister smarter than the bag ‍♂️ yeah talking about myself started laying feed roughly 8-9 weeks ago just wondering if that’s a problem or not so much? Not getting eggs yet but by my calculation the chickens are 18-19 weeks old I thank God for them cause they really are fun!!! Have been feeding Purina Layena Plus since 10-11? Weeks hoping it wasn’t a mistake any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank y’all happy chickening & may many eggs be in our future!!! Thanks in advance for your helpful advice!!!
    Trey Hooker

2. Newlychickening

Newlychickening Chirping

Aug 10, 2019
    Jacksonville, Tx
    C70045E0-C90F-4561-B025-434B4BF3FD9D.jpeg EF0B50F7-CA5E-47B0-A2AD-01356D3DA533.jpeg Here are a couple of pictures of the ladies!!! Oh forgot to mention I’m from Jacksonville, Texas!!!

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Generally, growers feed is best until you get your first egg before giving layers feed. Combining your remaining layers feed with growers feed (to use the layers feed up) is perfectly fine.

Here are some links to useful resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. Newlychickening

Newlychickening Chirping

Aug 10, 2019
    Jacksonville, Tx
    Thanks For your advice & helping me I
    find some articles to get busy reading & learning about this with!!! What a privilege to be here at BYC & get helpful advice!!! I will definitely be getting some growers feed asap & checking out the articles you mentioned & hopefully many more!!!
    Thanks again for your advice!!!
    Trey Hooker

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello, Trey, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I personally don't feed layer. It is to low on protein IMO and I don't want non-laying birds eating that much calcium. I feed an All Flock type feed with oyster shell on the side.

6. rjohns39

rjohns39 Wrangler

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Trey and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

7. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    You already got good advice above so I will just say hi.

:frow

8. 007Sean

007Sean Saint of the Sinners

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Trey :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!
    You might like to join us fellow Texans over on the 'Where am I? Where are you!' forum. Here's a link to the Texas thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/texas.44/

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Good morning Troy and welcome to the BYC flock. I too don't feed only layer but I have a mix age flock. Do you supplement calcium on the side?

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME! Oh those girls should start laying soon! If dare say within a few weeks. Maybe two. :). I was always one to start my pullets on layer feed early. They did really well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: