Layers now or day olds later?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crusty McPottydoodle, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    My original plan was to have a couple of RIR and a couple EE. To do this easily (read one stop local shopping), I will have to wait until June and get day old chicks. On the other hand, I can get point of lay Bovans in mid April. Advice please. I should point out that I am a bit of an instant gratification kind of gal [​IMG]

Regards,
    Cheryl

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Do both! also plan on some OEGB and some silkies and few leghorns...might as well look a few quail and a turkey or two...

Never ask us for advice on what kind of chicken to get! We will always suggest to get all of them! [​IMG]

And WELCOME!!!

3. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:Sadly, I live in the city (for now), so 4 hens are about as many as my yard will accommodate.

Cheryl

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I live in the city...well as close to a city as we have in the panhandle and I have way more than that! [​IMG] You just need to think bigger! [​IMG] Stop worrying baout neighbors and ordanceses...we are talking addiction here!!! You don't see crack junkies worrying about other peolple do you! [​IMG] Get out there and get more chickens! [​IMG]

5. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    the day olds are fun to raise, they are so cute as babies, it's fun to watch them grow and develop personalities. i think they imprint on you and end up being more tame than commercially raised laying hens...the chicks we got as day olds last fall are just starting to lay and they are so tame and sweet, they lay around like housecats. it is totally worth the suspense of waiting, and wondering...when...will...we...get...the...first...EGG!!!!!??

6. cimarron

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    P.S. howdy to Teach97 in the OK Panhandle...how i do love your high plains country up there!

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Quote:Howdy back at ya! [​IMG] Right now you have to look fast! Most of the country is flying by in the wind [​IMG]

8. cimarron

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    oh how your winds blow! that's how you weed out the faint-hearted...
    : )

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Get the day olds, it'll be worth the wait! I was just in the room with the brooder watching my 1 & 2 week old chicks sleeping. They're so adorable when they're all asleep and their little bodies are heaving up and down as they breathe. I [​IMG] them all already! [​IMG]

10. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    I'm an instant gratification type guy, but I'd probably wait and get the day-olds in June, and I'd get twice as many as you think you want. If you get eight sexed chicks, you might end up with two boys, and even if they're all girls (and you only want to keep four), you'll be able to sell four laying pullets in a heartbeat. Plus, you can keep them if you find they're not too obtrusive, and you won't have to worry about integrating new birds in with your existing flock down the line. Just my two cents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by