1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

layers pellets

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henryhoe, Aug 22, 2011.

1. henryhoe

henryhoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    why are my 19 week old rir's and light sussex not very interested in layers pellets, they have been on it for few weeks now but getting less interested everyday, but when i give them scraps or bread they go mad for it, any help would be great, thanks!! will this affect them starting to lay??

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Their probably waiting for the breadLOL. I'd cut out the treats & this will force them to eat the pellets. You can also throw some pellets on the ground & they will think it's a treat.

3. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Quote:tried cutting out bread last few days dosent make a difference!!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No chicken will starve itself. Patience. They will eat them. They will hold out, hold out and hold on for snacks, cracked corn or scratch, if you feed anything beside the pellets. Also, they may not like one company's pellets as well as another company's pellets, but again, they will not die of starvation. They cave.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    if they r not eatting much pellets will this affect them from starting to lay??

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes, as mentioned the treats are really not necessary the pellets are. I was told from an avian vet that their feed & clean water is all that is needed for a good laying hen. He also recommended feeding some greens. They need protein & the laying pellets are full of protein. The bread will cause their protein intake to drop. Personally, I would not feed them bread. I would provide them laying pellets 24/7 with a side dish of oyster shells. Cut the bread & I can promise you they will eat the pellets.

7. henryhoe

Aug 9, 2011
    Thanks for the advice will cut out the bread!! just have to wait ................... for some eggs, seems like forever!!

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, you do not HAVE to feed them pellets. Most folks do simply because it is easier and there is often less waste with pellets than other types of finer feeds. That said, you could feed them mash, wet mash, or crumbles if you wish. They will have preferences as to one over another and preferences from one company's formula to another.

Still, the issue before you right now is this. Until they have succumbed to eating the pellets, or the mash, or the crumbles, they are being spoiled, stubborn chickens. It isn't uncommon for them to quickly and easily get spoiled by treats, of whatever makeup, bread, scraps, but especially scratch grains. None of these things are a complete diet, but given a choice, a chicken will very often hold out for junk food, incomplete feed, or other tasty treats.

You'll have to find your own flock management style, but I insist they learn to eat what I provide. By day 3 or 4, they cave, if you don't first. No treats, no scratch, no bread, nothing but those pellets or crumbles sitting there. They'll eat them. No chicken can go longer than a few days being stubborn.

This is the reason, FOR ME, to discipline my birds to eat what I provide. During our long winters, they cannot range. It is waist deep in snow. I am cost sensitive about feed, so if I get a coupon, or if one feed store has a better price than another, what I feed is subject to change. Our hens are not and cannot be picky eaters. They get over that business very early on. I wish you the very best with your flock.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:cut out the bread...maybe mix some water with the pellets, see if that helps, then slow down with the water till its dry again...

also, I have a RIR, at 22 weeks, just started laying...I did read they can go anywhere from 22 to 24 weeks before they lay.

Good luck!

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Fred is right you can feed them crumbles & various other stuff. I prefer the pellets not only for less waste you know every time they eat one pellet their getting everything labelled on the bag. JMO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by