Layers pellets

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chlozaP, Jul 27, 2014.

1. chlozaP

chlozaP In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Wigan
    My ducklings are 4 weeks old and I went to the food suppliers to get them some growers pellets but they told me I had to give them layers pellets! Is it too soon to give them layers pellets? Help!?!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. WeeNicole

WeeNicole Chirping

Jul 5, 2013
    Northern Ireland
    Seems soon. Mine are 6-7weeks Still on same feed but im no expert. Hoping someone will answer as im intrigued

3. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Seems way too early, layer pellets have high amounts of protein and lack niacin. Too much protein can kill a young duckling and too little niacin can also be fatal.

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Songster

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    most layer feeds are actually lower in protein then other feeds like starter....most layer is 16% and starter is 18% or more depending on the brand of feed it is.

what layer has to much of that can be deadly for baby duck is calcium...starter has around 1% calcium where as layer has 4% to much calcium does internal damage to the little ones whos bodies have no need for the extra calcium.

most feed store people(most..not all) have no idea what feeds ducks or chickens need at certain ages. Layer is bad for any bird not laying or at point of lay due to the calcium levels please take that bag of layer back and get a bag of starter or grower that isn't medicated

you babies will not need layer till they lay eggs...and being a month old now they may not lay till next year

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. chlozaP

chlozaP In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Wigan
    Should I put them on growers pellets then?

6. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Songster

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    yes grower pellets till they lay and then layer once you start to get eggs

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Exactly! layer is not for birds not laying, to be honest i don't even use layers here i have way to many age variances so i use growers and oyster shell on the side.

here i;ll give the link for the raising ducky thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

1 person likes this.
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - thought I have chickens and not ducks - I feed a "flock raiser" at all times and offer calcium on the side.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have chickens too, just duck are the majority. I can go a couple ways here using chicken growers for the ducks or duck growers for them and chicken growers or use multi purpose pellets good for all types(so yes, basically like an all flock/flock raiser) [​IMG]

10. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Songster

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    does anyone mix cracked corn with their bagged feed for the ducks? trying to manage feed costs between layers, goats and ducks . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: