layers sleeping in laying boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by firem3, Oct 30, 2007.

1. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    I have five laying hens that came from a relative. they were totally free range chickens. I have put them in a pen and have them laying eggs however they want to sleep in the laying box. I provide them a nice place to sleep, how do i keep them out of the laying box at night short of blocking it so they cant get in it?

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    do you have roosting sticks or boards? if so are they higher than the boxes

3. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    yes I do have roost's they are starting from about 2' off the ground to about 5' high in a staggered ladder design so they can jump from one to the other. the highest is around 2 1/2 to 3 feet above the box.

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Quote:Man I dont know , Maybe they never had them before(roosts). Block them(the boxes) for a night or two and see if that helps.

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine do the same thing, too, and I've just learned to live with it. [​IMG] Sort of. I can't say I love cleaning out poopy nests.

6. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    My hens grew out of sleeping in the nests once they started laying. Hopefully yours will too if they have roosts to perch on. Good luck.

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, not only is it a pain to clean out the nest boxes, you also have a good chance of soiled eggs instead of nice clean ones, which is much nicer.
    I would either block them off at night for a couple weeks or physically take the birds and place them on the roosts at dark until they get the idea. Good Luck...

bigzio

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I've never had a problem with nesting boxes, but I do have some that still insist on sleeping on the ground like chicks. It's kind of weird, because they'll instinctively roost once they reach a certain age. My Jersey roo is almost two, and he sleeps on the ground under the roost by the hens. [​IMG]
    The only time I can't get mine out the nesting boxes is when they're broody and won't take the hint they're not on any eggs. [​IMG]

9. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    Mine do it all the time no detering them its not like they dont have ample space to roost because I sure gave them plenty I have learned to deal with it they have been doing it for years. I just make sure I use straw in thier nest makes the cleaning a lot more easier.

10. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Quote:My JGiant hen also sleeps on the floor, I think she is too big to get on the roost and I've read somewhere that they can't fly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by