Layers with missing feathers-head and back-all red? Help with pictures

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mainemomof2, Jun 17, 2011.

1. mainemomof2

mainemomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Hello,
    We have 15 layers. Two of them have missing feathers on their tail, one of those two has missing feathers on her head. Where they are missing it is all red. One of them has a bump on the red tail part. Please see the pictures below. What do you think is wrong?

Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Do you have any roosters?

3. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    If you have roosters, I'm guessing those two are getting hurt in mating. If not, I have no idea.

4. mainemomof2

mainemomof2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    We did have one rooster, which we got rid of about 5 months ago. Would the injuries be lasting? Both of those chickens were like that when the rooster was around, and have never changed.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Sometimes it takes a while for the feathers to grow back in. It could be the hens are picking at the wounds making them heal more slowly. They do look like they could be from an overzealous clumsy rooster.

6. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Yeah i have on like that it was from a rooster that chose that hen as his favorite i removed him a while ago and the feathers are coming back very slowly

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sure looks like rooster damage. If the entire feather did not come out, those will not grow back until they molt. But they will eventually come back.

8. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I would also check for mites--just incase. Also, they might get sunburned, so they need to have their skin covered. However, I don't know that an apron would completely cover the whole area but at least it would cover most of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by