Layers won't go in their coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carress, Oct 27, 2008.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    For the last few nights, my birds don't want to stay in their coop.
    I had four in, and four out, as I was chasing or throwing them in, the others kept trying to come out. It was utter pandemonium.

I'm thinking it is the light I put in to increase their laying time. It's pretty bright in there.
    Do the birds maybe think it's still daytime??

Normally, they will go to their coop and even sit at the door waiting to be let in.

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Have you tried only having the light on in the morning to add light hours in the beginning of the day and using only natural light once the sun is up? One of the really old chicken books I have says to turn the light on from 5am to 9am only, unless it is being used as a heat source.
    Give a good check of your coop for hidden preditors. There may be a reason they don't want to go in that isn't really related to the light, but just happened to occur at the same time.

3. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Leah- I thought about the predator thing, but the coop is small, and I did check.
    I think it's the light.
    I will leave the light on until 6am.
    My timer is only two pronged, and my light is 3pronged, so I have to get another to run the light from 5-8.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by