laying 2 eggs in one sitting?

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
i have 4 girls that are about 19 weeks old. only one has started laying. but the 2 EE are very close (squatting, red combs etc). i just went outside to check for eggs and i found 2 brown eggs in the nest....one normal, the other very pointy.....like a deformed raindrop. i wonder if they are BOTH from my Silver Cuckoo Marans cuz it's been about 4 or 5 days since she's layed. can they get kinda bogged down if it's been a few days, and they lay 2 eggs? i realize that one MAY be from my EE's cuz i know they can lay brown eggs. but these 2 eggs are the exact same color. any advice?

Its just a guess but I think when some people say their hen layed 2 eggs in 1 day its because they didn't lay the day before and the hen had 1 ready and the next started forming. But maybe someone else knows better

Its two different hens. It's really really really unlikley that any hen can lay two in one day, their bodies aren't set up like that.

Your Marans brown should be richer and darker (even hatchery or mixed stock) than the tan/brown of your EEs. There should be a noticeable difference.

Pictures?

The only time I've gotten a confirmed two eggs out of one hen was when she "held" it -- and even then one was a softshell.

You've got two layers. In fact, the difference in shape supports that
smile.png
Mine usually keep a very consistent shape. Oh, they've changed over time, but from day to day they're awfully close.

thanks guys. i'll try to post a pic.....have to have hubby do that, and now he's playing X-box. yeah, it's weird.....the color of both eggs is a bit darker in some places than others too. i sure HOPE my other girls are starting to lay. and if i have a brown layin' EE....then oh well......i love my girls so much that it doesn't even matter anymore. i seriously doubt it's my BO cuz she's still kinda pale and her comb is kinda small. but the eggs are that BO color.

Back
Top Bottom