1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Laying advice??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kitty22496, Aug 26, 2016.

1. kitty22496

kitty22496 In the Brooder

May 3, 2016
    I have 4 hens. 2 of which are ready. I've checked their pelvis placement and their vents are "open" and they've been squating for a little over 2 weeks.
    3 of them are 20-21 weeks and 1 was given to me and she is 28-30 weeks. The guy who gave her to me said she's laid a few eggs for him but I've had her a week now and nothing[​IMG]
    Am I doing something wrong? They get purina laying crumble with a little extra oyster shells. They have boxes with woods shaving(not hard). They get plenty of water I even put ice in their water bucket if it's over 85°. They have plenty of shade. They get a little block of mill worms once a week..... Any advice?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Patience. There is nothing that can be done to 'make' them lay. 90% of breeds start to lay sometime between 20 and 25 weeks. So it will happen soon. How soon that will be exactly, can not be determined.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

do you free range? Any chance of a hidden nest?

for the younger birds, I think you're just at the waiting point. Literally any day now, this is the hardest part [​IMG]

The older hen, how long have you had her? Moving a hen usually causes a pause in production, it can last a good 2 weeks or so before she starts laying again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by