Laying after being broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henriettamom919, May 20, 2019.

1. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    My Buff Orp, Henrietta, just came off a broody spell about four days ago and she's already laid again and is in the nesting box again right now! :yesss:

That being said her eggs are slightly smaller. Is that normal/part of the hormone upheaval of being broody? The shells are nice and thick and I've been giving a little oyster shell. I started the flock on FF about five days ago morning and night.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Puppy Dreaming

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Did you break her quickly? Sometimes if I catch mine on day one they barely stop laying. Generally eggs should remain about the same, although a weird egg now and again isn't abnormal from any hen.

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It took me a few days to catch on; I initially thought my Alpha hen was bullying her again until she broke down and spent almost 24 hours in the nesting box (as you can tell, this is my first flock :gig) I broke her over the next few days. All said and done she was in and out of broody mode for about a week and a half with a small break of a day in the middle.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: