laying after broody?

wmillsap

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
My black astrlourpe went broody about 3 weeks ago. It took about 4 days of me removing her from the nesting box. This Friday it will have been 3.5 weeks of no eggs( 4 days broody, 3 weeks no eggs) . She was my best layer. In 36 days she laid 31 eggs. When will she lay again? Can I do anything it encourage her to lay again? This is her picture from this morning. I think her comb looks red??

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
That seems long. If I could detect a broody and get her in a cage to break witthing two days of broody they usually got back to laying withing 3 weeks. It's the ones that you can't break or were broody longer that usually take the longest to get into laying again. It seems a function of how hard broody they were and how long they were broody before breaking that determines length of time to lay. With variables like that I couldn't guess but think she'll be laying very soon.

wmillsap

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
I have checked the box about 10 times a day. I'm going to do a happy dance when she decides to lay! Thanks for the advice.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
She may have found a 'better' place to lay out in her range area?

If you're in the northern hemisphere, shorter days may be having and effect.

Melinda48

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2013
Columbia, MO
Our chickens molted. We have 11 girls and used to get 10 eggs a day without fail. Now we are lucky to get 4. This has been going on for over a month now. How the heck long is it going to be until they lay again?

Last edited:

wmillsap

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
She is 10 months old. She was laying constantly. Most weeks she gave 6 eggs. Now nothing! Nothing! It's killing me. We are located in Central Alabama. I have a light on them providing 14 hours of total light in a day. My others are laying. I only have 6 hens no rooster. One of my hens is only 5 months so that leave me 5 laying hens. Now that she has stopped laying I'm down to 4 layers. I have 4 boys. We eat eggs! We need eggs!!

wmillsap

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
Yes they do free range but in my fenced in back yard. I have thought of that and have searched the yard for the last few days but didn't find anything. It's crazy!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Yes they do free range but in my fenced in back yard. I have thought of that and have searched the yard for the last few days but didn't find anything. It's crazy!
I'd confine them to coop/run for a few days-week to see if they are laying.

Can also check pelvic points:
2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom