1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying after broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wmillsap, Nov 10, 2015.

1. wmillsap

wmillsap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    My black astrlourpe went broody about 3 weeks ago. It took about 4 days of me removing her from the nesting box. This Friday it will have been 3.5 weeks of no eggs( 4 days broody, 3 weeks no eggs) . She was my best layer. In 36 days she laid 31 eggs. When will she lay again? Can I do anything it encourage her to lay again? This is her picture from this morning. I think her comb looks red?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    That seems long. If I could detect a broody and get her in a cage to break witthing two days of broody they usually got back to laying withing 3 weeks. It's the ones that you can't break or were broody longer that usually take the longest to get into laying again. It seems a function of how hard broody they were and how long they were broody before breaking that determines length of time to lay. With variables like that I couldn't guess but think she'll be laying very soon.

3. wmillsap

Aug 23, 2015
    I have checked the box about 10 times a day. I'm going to do a happy dance when she decides to lay! Thanks for the advice.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may have found a 'better' place to lay out in her range area?

If you're in the northern hemisphere, shorter days may be having and effect.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old is she?

6. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    Our chickens molted. We have 11 girls and used to get 10 eggs a day without fail. Now we are lucky to get 4. This has been going on for over a month now. How the heck long is it going to be until they lay again?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  7. wmillsap

Aug 23, 2015
    She is 10 months old. She was laying constantly. Most weeks she gave 6 eggs. Now nothing! Nothing! It's killing me. We are located in Central Alabama. I have a light on them providing 14 hours of total light in a day. My others are laying. I only have 6 hens no rooster. One of my hens is only 5 months so that leave me 5 laying hens. Now that she has stopped laying I'm down to 4 layers. I have 4 boys. We eat eggs! We need eggs!!

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Do you free range? She may be laying in her range area.

9. wmillsap

Aug 23, 2015
    Yes they do free range but in my fenced in back yard. I have thought of that and have searched the yard for the last few days but didn't find anything. It's crazy!

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd confine them to coop/run for a few days-week to see if they are laying.

Can also check pelvic points:
    2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by