laying age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickmom, Jan 14, 2008.

1. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can someone with australorps give me an idea when they should start laying? And what do I need to do before they start to get ready? Mine are 16 wks old now.

2. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    My Australop (Tips) was the first of my chickens to lay at about 18-20 weeks.

I guess you need to build a few nest boxes, if you haven't done so already, (depending upon how many hens you have) and I started feeding them all layer pellets also.

good luck, the first egg is so exciting!

3. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thank you, I have 20 hens and 1 roo and 8 nest boxes. I was wondering how soon I should start them on the layer feed. A couple of them have combs that are starting to get a little darker red. I have 1 with a really odd looking comb, it is very small and dark instead of pink.
    I am getting very excited about getting my first egg.

4. newchickmom

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Anyone else with australorps? Is 18-20 wks the norm for them? Does kayri have gifted hens?[​IMG]

5. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were about 23 weeks old when they started......now waiting for them to start again after molt and cold weather ! start layer feed after they start laying [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by