1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying an egg from the roost at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaimeziegler, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jaimeziegler

jaimeziegler New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Hello,
    One of my hens (I have 4) has been laying a soft shell egg from the roost at night. Of course, it's broken. There has not been a change in food. It has been getting a bit colder here in Pa. Anyone have any advice?
    Thanks

2. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    Hi jaime, are they still pretty young? I have four pullets, around 6 months old. One of them laid several soft shelled eggs from the roost, and even one out in their yard over a period of a few weeks before she switched over to laying regular eggs. The whole process took her about three weeks, I think her body just took longer to get the process right than the other three.
    She has only been laying normal eggs for a week at this point, and still hasn't started laying in the nesting box- she is laying them in the coop bedding, next to the nest box. Some of them are just a little slower to figure things out!!

3. jaimeziegler

jaimeziegler New Egg

Sep 28, 2015
    Thanks for your response. They are 7 months, but have been laying for 3 months in their nesting boxes. It didn't happen last night so hopefully she's getting back on track.
    Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by