Laying an egg while roosting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Robin1, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Robin1

Robin1 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    We finally got our first egg this week [​IMG] ...So excited! However, our hen is laying her eggs while perched on the roost in the hen house. The very first egg landed on the floor, lined with shavings and luckily didn't crack. The last 2 eggs she layed from the same place and they did end up cracking when they fell to the floor. We have nesting boxes in the coop, but she is not using them. Any suggestions? We waited do long for the eggs, now that one of our hens is laying .... all we are getting is cracked eggs [​IMG]

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Have you tried putting a fake egg in the nesting boxes?

3. bsruther

bsruther Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    When our hens started laying, we would always find their first few eggs on the poop board, under the roost. They were usually thin shelled and not usable anyway. After that, they would lay in the nesting box. I would check the poop board daily to see if another hen was going to start laying. All five of them did it. It seems that once they realize what's going on, they head to the box.

4. Robin1

Robin1 New Egg

Aug 4, 2010
    I have 2 fake eggs in the nesting boxes. I had all the nesting boxes lined w/ excelcer laying pad(spelling) and thought they weren't used to it. So I have one box now filled w/ shavings and one box lined w/ straw and the other 2 w/ excelcer.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sounds like you're certainly giving them lots of options! [​IMG]

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Have they been in the nest boxes at all, as far as you know? Often, once they realize that they are there, and how comfy they are, and see fake eggs, or golf balls there, it seems to click. I've had a fair few lid from the roost or on the coop floor or in the run, as well, but it usually is just a matter of time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by