Laying an egg while roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScoobyRoo, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Two weeks ago my 7 girls just started laying (BO, RIR and wyandotte). However, one of them which I believe to be the BO is laying a soft shelled egg while roosting. This is my fourth egg I found amongst the droppings. Right now they prefer to roost outside in their enclosed pen at night. They free range almost all day and they have layers feed and oyster shells available 24/7. What is going on? Do I need to be concerned? Can anyone give me an idea why this is happening? I have heard that the first few eggs are usually soft but assuming the same one is laying the soft shell egg.......what gives? Your responses would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I had that happen when mine started laying too. It didn't take long though and they stopped doing it. I think it takes a while for their bodies to get the hang of things.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    By the way...[​IMG]

4. lisameeks

lisameeks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    I'm having the same thing happen to me. We had to start sneaking in on the girls to wake them up because they were pouncing on the soft egg and eating it. I haven't had anyone go after an egg with a real shell but this forum has be scared to death of having an"egg eater" amongst us.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Thank you chickenchick. This forum is a wealth of information! I have learned a lot from other members. Soon my next question will be 'how to prepare for winter' We live in east-central Kansas so the weather here can be unpredictable! This will be our girls (21 hens) and 1 roo's first winter and I want it to be ready. Have a great day!

6. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    I had the same prob. I had the nests on the floor and the roosts up too high. I moved the roost lower and the nests up. I put both 28 inches off the floor. It is not too hard to get eggs and they lay in the boxes now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by