1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying and then stopping - is that normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AmieD, Oct 1, 2016.

1. AmieD

AmieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    I just started with chickens this year. I have 6 hens that are 23 weeks old. The three white leghorns are all laying regularly, 1/3 NH Reds are laying, and 1/2 of the Dominiques started laying. She laid about 4-5 eggs in a 2 week period and stopped. I added artificial lighting in the mornings to make sure they get at least 14 hours of light, but still nothing. Any ideas as to why she stopped? I assume my other non-laying girls should start any time... is that right? Thanks!

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    This is fairly common in my coop. [​IMG] It sounds like you're doing everything right. Yes, the rest should start laying and the others should even out with time. Although, I have several that lay a few weeks and quit....lay a few weeks and quit. Ugh!

3. AmieD

Jul 19, 2016
    Thanks.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The light can take a while to do it's 'magic'.....
    ......and is often not necessary for pullets( not hens until 1 yr of age) in their first winter of lay.
    Here's a pretty good article on supplemental lighting.

Yep, me too.

Chickens can be fickle...or as Blooie says..."They're not Pez dispensers!"

Your leghorns will likely be your most regular and prolific layers as they are a high production breed.

5. AmieD

Jul 19, 2016
    All my oldest pullets are laying now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by