Laying at 13 weeks???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WooingWyandotte, Jun 8, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Lately I have been noticing shell less eggs in the coop (Ugh more cleaning) and I noticed one on the ground last Thursday. Both of our laying hens lay once a day. So I did an experiment, I made sure to get both of the hens eggs yesterday then see if I find a shell less egg in the morning, then I'll know if it's Beatrice our 13 week old pullet...unless one of our hens decided to lay two eggs but didn't have enough protein for two shells. It is probably impossible, but hey, maybe they did anyways?
    Should I get Beatrice (she's a Buff Orp btw) on some layer feed? Or is it one of the hens? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

2. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Hello? (a.k.a. bump)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Some pullets lay shell-less eggs at first when they are just getting the kinks worked out and the factory up and running. I have no personal experience with 13 week olds laying, but I don't see why is is impossible for a 13 week old to start the process. I have read stories of 9 year old humans giving birth so why can't you have a precocious puberty in chickens? [​IMG]

4. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Just an early layer I guess. That's better than a hen laying a shell less egg [​IMG] Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by