1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying before dawn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sassafras, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I have to do my chicken chores before sunup to get to work. I have been suprised with some eggs laid well before it is close to sun-up. The eggs are cool sometimes and I do check at night too. They seem to be finding their way down off the roost to the nest boxes. Granted, it is not a long way, only 4-6 feet but I thought they didn't see well enough to do that.

2. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I would think, much like our own eyes, they'd adjust a bit so they can see enough to move around if necessary. [​IMG]

3. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I have a light on in my coop and have found eggs in as I go for pre-dawn filling of the feeders before dark.. the way my hens wait in line for the most prized nest boxes--I figured some were just getting an early start to avoid the line..

Shelly

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    The chickens decided to make their nest directly below the roosts. [​IMG] I have a sneaking suspicion we don't hear the egg song anymore because they're up way before we are. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by