1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying Breeds For Northern Climate.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MeadQuail, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MeadQuail

MeadQuail New Egg

Sep 6, 2013
    I am looking into replacing my older black sex-link hens for a different breed. I live in Minnesota and it can get cold up here. So i am looking for a breed that can handle the cold and yet is a very good consistent layer. Any suggestions or advice?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The Chantecler is designed for cold climates but IDK how they lay...might check Henderson's chicken chart for that.

3. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Please give Dominique's a good look. The hens are on the small side, but they lay throughout the winter. They lay fewer eggs when the days are short and temps are cold, but mine didn't stop, and I don't give supplimental light or heat. The eggs for the first 8 months or so are medium to large, after they are about a year old the eggs are generally large. They aren't supe egg producers, but good consistent layers. They are rose combed, and do well in cooler temperatures. Last winter I went out to the chicken yard and observed them cooling off in the shade......In the shade it was about 10 degrees F.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I've heard enough anecdotal info on BYC re: Chanteclere's not being reliable layers to be wary of adding that bird to my zone 4 flock. I'd also suggest that you take a good look at Dominiques. I'll be adding some in the spring. Unfortunately, when I got my 3 Dom pullet chicks this spring, they all started crowing at a fairly young age. An other + re: Doms, they are supposed to be auto sexing... obviously the hatchery was not up to speed on this. An other bird you might want to check out is EE or Ameraucana. I found both Doms and EE to be very nice birds, both in personality and foraging skills. I'm leaning towards rose or pea comb birds for my flock.

WSmith. Your comments re: Dom behavior make me all the more anxious to get my Dom PULLETS!!!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    If you want primarily layers what about going with red sex links this time? They have smallish single combs, tend to be better layers than blacks and they are pretty tolerant of cold, at least people seem to have them all over. Another one might be Buckeyes, they are peacombed, they don't lay as well as the RSL, but are pretty good.

6. MeadQuail

MeadQuail New Egg

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks for all the feed back i will look into all the birds you guys suggested. Reason i am looking into another bird besides the black sex-link is because they didnt lay as often as i would of liked. I supply all my family members and friends with eggs, so i want a good layer. Thanks again for the feed back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by