1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying, but....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andiD, Sep 28, 2015.

1. andiD

andiD New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Grand jct co
    Got my first egg yesterday, but, was layed from the top of the roost so was a scrambled egg. So bummed. Have 2 ready to lay, not sure which one actually did. Neither one will have anything to do with nest boxes, any ideas how to fix? Thanks
    Update: another beautiful brown scrambled egg again today...dang.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Sometimes egg laying can come as a surprise to young hens. Try enticing them into the nest boxes, maybe trying a different bedding material in different boxes, and maybe a fake egg (or golf ball in a pinch) in them. You might also place a box in a quiet corner of the coop on the floor.

3. shodack

shodack Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    I used a fake egg and it worked right away!

4. andiD

andiD New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Grand jct co
    A second girl layed today, perfectly in the nest box, and got all the other nests ready for everyone else! Hopefully the girls will follow suit and will start having a nice group of eggs. thanks for the comments. Work in progress I guess huh? Sure is rewarding to finally get some eggs!

5. shodack

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    This reminds me, on Sunday one of mine laid her first egg. Outside the nest box on the other side of the coop. I think it just takes them a little time to figure out where to go. And don't be surprised if they all use one nest box!
    Also, being patient when they first start laying is so hard... I am struggling with it now. One started to lay about 2 weeks ago. She has laid probably 10+ eggs. The other three have been slowly getting started. One is starting to lay every other day or so, but the other two have laid basically one egg each. I'm waiting for regular laying to start, but it seems it will never happen. I have one egg a day, and occasionally 2 eggs. Every day I think, "Maybe today will be the day I get 3!" Still no luck with that. It's maddening! haha

6. andiD

andiD New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Grand jct co
    It is that Shodack. I don't have any today, was so hoping to go out and see 2. I suspect that they will just get to laying then winter sets in and back to not much. Oh well, day by day!

7. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We have 6 hens. We got our first egg on July 9, our first 6-for-6 day was August 8. It takes a while for everyone to get in a routine.

8. shodack

Mar 19, 2015
    central NY
    They must have heard me grumbling, I got 3 of 4 today!!

9. andiD

andiD New Egg

Sep 10, 2015
    Grand jct co
    That's great! Hope your success continues :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by