laying chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by louy51, Aug 29, 2013.

1. louy51

louy51 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Hi all! I still do not have my coop done yet. We got the yard in though. They seem to be happy in it. My RIR started laying. I have got eight eggs from her so far, but my Plymouth rock and buff orpington have not started laying yet.

I'm a little surprised with eggs I'm getting from my RIR, they seem small about the size of a bantie. Any Ideas?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Most pullets start off by laying eggs that are a bit smaller than average. Her egg size and quality will improve as she lays more.

3. louy51

louy51 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Thank you! I thought this would happen, but needed some input.

4. travis5292

travis5292 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    I started getting eggs from one pullet 11 days ago. 11 days straight, this red sexlink has laid a tiny egg. I'm NOT new to chickens, and have a pretty good understanding of the whole egg laying process.
    But, this is the first time I have kept track of the number of days in a row from a single bird.
    My thoughts are, when she finally decides to take a day off, I expect the eggs to be bigger from then on. All 11 eggs from this pullet are the exact same color, size, and pretty much, same shape.
    I'm hoping for a Jumbo egg too. You'll usually get a couple of the Jumbos when pullets come in to egg laying.

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by