Laying chickens eating dog food

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Owner of Elvis, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Owner of Elvis

Owner of Elvis Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Is it alright for my layers to eat the dog and cat food? They come up on the porch searching for leftovers each day.

2. Indy acres

Indy acres Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Lebanon In.
    I don't really think it will hurt them but it might get kind of expensive, I know what you mean about them coming up to the house for scraps mine do it all the time and alot of the time I don't have any so today I made them a big pot of popcorn because they made me feel so guilty, and they loved it cheap enough too!!![​IMG]

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Its probably good for them extra protein. I give my girls wet small bite iams, they love it. No problem with eggs

4. BuffaloWings

BuffaloWings Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Its OK for chickens to eat dry pet food. In fact many give dry cat food as a protein supplement to their chickens. I know it was often a contest to see who got to the dog food first. The dogs that is was for, or the greedy birds. Every once in a while the dogs had to remind the chickens who the food belonged to. Although sometimes the big tom turkeys would try and match the dogs.

5. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    Glad to see something on this one - my lil dog is in the yard with my chicks all day - and I'm sure they try his food ... (he tries theirs too - loves it... ha ha) and they do fight over good leftover pizza crusts - rooster wins usually - dog is a wimp!

Anyhow - i was worried about making my girls sick!

6. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I think concidering I've seen mine eat mealworms, ants, worms and slugs [​IMG] that dog food is the least you need to worry about.[​IMG]

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    My neighbors eat their dog's food when ever they get a chance. They wait until she's done, and over they go to the bowl of dog food. [​IMG]

8. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    When I let my chickens out to free range they run into the goat house to eat the goats food...(I feed my goats horse/foal feed) and the chickens love it! They also love the goat hay....

9. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Quote:Personally, I do not eat dog food. Do your neighbors prefer the dry kind?

10. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Personally, I do not eat dog food. Do your neighbors prefer the dry kind?

[​IMG] OMG I'm laughing so hard!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by