Laying Chickens/ Fry Chickens

If, and this is a big IF, you choose a traditional, dual purpose bird, such as a RIR, BR, WR, Del, etc, the older tradition was to buy/hatch straight run. 'Few old time hatcheries "sexed" these chicks. The small flock keeper would raise them together, feed them the same feed, of course. Then, at 16 weeks, the cockerels were now obvious. Their large red wattles and combs, pointy feathers and upright stance gave them away. Some were beginning to crow.

The cockerels were harvested, sometimes the pullets as well, but not as frequently. These young "fryers" were tender and made the greatest fried chicken in the universe!!!!!

Today, folks keep super laying hybrids for egg laying and super fast growing hybrid CornishX for meat birds. Still, there are many folks who still raise chicks to be "fryers" the old fashioned way, using old fashioned, common, dual purpose breeds. Hope that helps. We've been doing this for over 50 years. Those are "fryers" in my avatar from circa 1959.

Last edited:
Thanks so much!! My husband and I just wondered. We had a hen we had purchased to be a laying hen, and she turned out to be an egg eater. We tried every suggestion people gave to curb this habit. It did no good. We were afraid she would teach our other girls to do it, so we put her down, and instead of wasting her, we ate her. She was very tough. Thats what got us wondering what the difference was. But I guess as with everything, once they become aged, it loses its tenderness. Thanks againfor your insight!!! Much appreciated!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom