laying chickens not laying.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karhernandez33, Nov 14, 2010.

1. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Songster

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    My mom has about 20 or more chicken any where from 9months to 1 yr . alittle over a month ago she got a first egg from one of the younger chicks,and 1 egg a day from a older chicken.but now nothing not one egg in over a month .any suggestons ....

2. mgw

mgw Songster

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Tell them if they don't want to help out for breakfast, then they can help out for dinner! Lol. Mine are not laying well right now either, it's the short days I think.

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    We have a light in our coop that goes on at 7 am and off at 7 pm. We get an egg a day from each hen including our ducks! 14 a day never missing a day, lol

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Chickens generally require 14 hours of light to lay (they won't hatch chicks in cold weather, so naturally, why lay?). Some breeds will lay reduced amounts, others stop completely. Some people add in artificial lighting for a few hrs in the evening to make them lay again (just don't leave it on since it will screw up their schedule...they are VERY light dependent). If you don't add light (many of us don't since we figure their bodies need a rest), then they will start up again in the spring.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Are they free ranged? Could they be hiding their eggs under bushes and such?

6. bills

bills Songster

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    It's the shorter fall days for sure.
    If you do decide to introduce a light to the coop, don't just set it for 14-16 hour days right off the bat. Start at approx the daylight hours you are receiving naturally, and then increase the lighting time by a half hour, every 3 days or so, until you are up to the max hours per day. Your basically artificially introducing spring to them, to stimulate them to lay again... [​IMG]

As to the actual number as to hours of light, I have learned 14-16 hours is the preferred numbers.

Another trick I learned from a neighbor, is to give them some warm oatmeal in the morning, during the colder periods. This warm meal seems to give them a boost.

7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Songster

Apr 14, 2007
    You didn't say what breed? what you are feeding them? free range? any lights in the coop? are they molting? could you have predators--including humans?

There are many reason why chickens stop or slack up on laying eggs.. most will need more information to help them...

8. karhernandez33

karhernandez33 Songster

May 24, 2010
    wichita falls texas
    most of the older ones are all white with single comes I think yellow or orange colored legs. there is a mix of breeds. and she feeds them mostly pellets and table food. not free ranged but have a good space. its more of a dog kennel ,the clip ther wings . change water everyday....she also has 2 geese in with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by