Laying Chickens-Two Roosters wanted in Southern VT

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kengia2, Sep 19, 2007.

1. kengia2

kengia2 New Egg

Sep 19, 2007
    Newfane, Vermont
    Hi! We're looking for some laying hens and maybe a couple roosters. We're in Newfane, Vermont, and we would LOVE to have fresh eggs! And of course the joy of owning pets![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    craigslist for Mon. or tues there was an ad in the NH farm and garden for free Hens. I think they were all under 2 and they had alot to give away. Here is the ad if you are interested. 1 to 2 years old is nothing......someone posted today that they had a 16 yr old hen lay an egg.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/425864910.html

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  3. kengia2

kengia2 New Egg

Sep 19, 2007
    Newfane, Vermont
    Thanks so much for the lead! Do you think it's better to just order baby chicks from McMurrays or the such?

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    kengia2,
    Chicks vs. already laying hens is a big difference, so it really depends on what you want out of the experience! If you get baby chicks you'll have to raise them indoors, carefully monitoring the temps, and all that. It's a lot of work! And then they don't start laying for about 3-4 months. But on the other hand, it's also fun, and you get to raise them tame, used to being handled, etc. If your prime concern is eggs, get already-laying hens. Pets: get chicks. There's lots of info on this web site about chick-raising to give you an idea of what you're in for....
    Just my (pretty inexperienced) 2 cents!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by