Laying chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by invernessleander34452, Oct 17, 2008.

1. invernessleander34452

invernessleander34452 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    I am totally new to all of this about chickens. I have 2 out of my 5 hens that are mature enough to lay eggs. They lay them on the ground in the same place every day. One chicken appears healthy and normal. The other one does the same except that she has something hanging out of her vent that looks like a couple of wet, dark chicken feathers, and this has been there about a week. One of the other hens was picking at it, without success.
    What in the world can this be? Is it normal? She is eating and acting normally and laying normal eggs but I am concerned as to what it is. I am not confortable with trying to catch her and pull it out.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Maybe she ate some feathers and trying to pass them. Mine have done it before and I just gently pull and most of the time they come out easily and other times they don't so I don't force them but let them come out on their own. HOw long has she had them hanging? Can someone else hold her while you get a closer look to make SURE they are feathers that you are seeing?

3. doubleostud

doubleostud Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    You can always try to give her some more greens or anything that will stay semi intact during the digestion and see if that helps push it out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by