1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying differences between Gold Sex-Link & Black Sex-Link?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by augustmomx2, Sep 12, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm aware that all Sex-Links lay more than the "usual" chickens. My question is, do black sl, lay less than gold sl? I thought I read somewhere that the black were also bred for meat, but the gold/red more so for eggs, but I can't find it anywhere [​IMG] I'm just wondering, I have gold sl now and I adore them, but next year I thought I would get some black sl just to "mix it up." What are your opinions? TIA [​IMG]

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I only have nine hens, two are black sexlink. What great friendly hens they are. I don't notice that they lay any more or less than the RIR or Delawares, but they are meatier than all the other birds. I'll bet they outweigh everybody by at least a pound or more. They are all six months old now. My single Barred Rock is a super egg machine....on at least two occasions, she has laid two eggs in one day.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems to me based on the breeds they derive from, they'd be pretty darn similar.

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    The same..however both are fine to eat.My reds are very good eating WRI x RIR my blacks are RIR x BR next year we will be doing some sex-links with the Delawares and NH's as well..All the unsold roos are raised to eat
    Agreed though they lay no better than the other real good layers 5-6 eggs a week... just makes it easier to know early which are layers and which are dinner(so they can be removed to an area away from the kids)

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I read somewhere that one type will lay more eggs, but a bit smaller in size. The other lays less eggs, but a bit larger in size. Can't remember which is which. I've never raised either one.

The best egg layers I've had so far is the New Hampshire breed.
    Big in size and lots of them.

spot

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by