Laying down with her rear up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crawfordmama, Sep 18, 2010.

1. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    One of my BSLs has been laying down a bit differently than usual. She's puffing her chest and putting her rear end up, with her tail feathers sticking straight up. I've seen her do this for the past 2 days while free ranging. She's between 15-20 weeks, and I haven't seen any eggs yet. Her comb and wattles are a bit pinker than the rest, and her wattles are droopy, but her face is still flesh colored. Is she going to lay soon, or is this just a comfy new position? Thanks for your insight!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is a roo or you walking by?

Maybe she thinks she's going to mate?

3. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    The first time I saw her doing it, it was amongst her girls, no roo, and I was standing probably 20 feet away. The second time I was closer and I knelt down next to her to watch, hoping an egg would pop out. After 5 minutes or so she got up, looked around, then joined the rest of the flock who had wandered away.

4. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    This sounds similar to how my egg-bound hen acted. She would walk a little, sit and eat a little, get up and move and do it again. Kinda like it hurt to stand normal. Does she look a little like a penguin when she is standing, with her tail at an odd angle?

5. crawfordmama

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Her tail is straight up, and almost fanned. It reminded me of a turkey. She's been acting and eating normally. Should I try to feel her belly?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by