Laying ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fast Chick, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    I'd sure like to hear form someone with experience with laying ducks.

I have 3 Campbells and 2 Cayugas who are 23 wks old. I've gotten 1 egg almost every day for the last 2 wks, but just one. It's a campbell laying, I can almost always see the egg bump on her belly the night before.

They are getting good quality layer feed, oyster shell, veggie snack and some free range.

What age should they all be laying?

The Cayugas got bigger faster and seemed to mature earlier, but no sign of eggs from them. One has a black beak, the others beak is greenish. No sign of a drake feather on the tails so I'm not sure if ones a drake or not.

2. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    My cayuga didn't start laying until the spring following her hatch but she was a late hatch. My ducks didn't pip until September so I didn't get eggs out of them until spring but once the days started getting longer my hybrid layer started laying and then about a week later I got eggs from my Cayuga. She was really finicky and only laid an egg every other day and got broody but I kept stealing her eggs so she took off and hid a nest. I found it 3 times that she hid it but the last time she left the yard completely and I never did find her or the nest.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    did you find her babies

4. Fast Chick

Fast Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    I think I got my first cayuga egg this morning. [​IMG]
    There was the usual creamy white campbell egg and a smaller much darker egg. Don't know how to describe the color, grayish tan, but not brown. about the size of the campbells eggs when she first started laying.

Two eggs in one day, a new record!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by