laying ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trueorganics, Aug 16, 2014.

1. trueorganics

trueorganics Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi we lost a duck a cpl weeks ago and the other two stopped laying how can I get them to start laying again

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Was the loss due to a predator? if it was they may still be traumatized by it, give them time and make sure your duck housing and run if you have one is a secure as it can be, that will help your ducks feel protected and eventually they will lay again. Sorry for your loss.

3. trueorganics

Aug 16, 2014
    No wasn't a predator she tried to hard pushing an egg out

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry, I lost a duck back in late winter egg laying problems

5. Eluria

Eluria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    I am so sorry about both of your duckies [​IMG] Is there anything that can be done when that happens? The 4 that are coming to me soon are all girls, so I am trying to learn as much as I can in advance.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I really know of nothing in particular except to give them a good diet and make sure they don't get over weight which can lead to egg laying troubles but sometimes even when you do all you can they can still have troubles, just something we never know, seems I had read the ones that are heavy layers can have this more than others but my ducks are Muscovy's which are not know to be heavy layers so genetics and maybe malformed equipment can play into it too.My ducks was almost 3 yrs old never had any problems till this time, happens so fast and not alot can be done. Some have had surgery done to [spay their duck ] when she had a prolapse or egg laying issues but most of us can't afford this way. Just try not to worry about this and enjoy them. You can read on here that not many have had this happen out of all the members we have on BYC.

7. trueorganics

Aug 16, 2014
    I would still love to know if there is anyway I can get my girls laying again we have folks with chicken allergies relying on our duck eggs

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's a question we really can't answer, ducks go through periods of laying and periods of rest so mine will lay for a couple weeks steady then they don't for a couple weeks. How long has it been since they laid and could they be getting ready to molt? they won't lay during molt either.

9. trueorganics

Aug 16, 2014
    Molt?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Every year ducks go through a molt where they lose alot of their feathers, and all of their flight feathers. while they are going through this they won't lay they are having to use all their energy to produce new feathers. So if you have noticed more feathers than normal laying around they may be going through molt or beginning to go through molt, Mine at at the beginning. when mine go through molt they are finished laying for the year, but I have Muscovy and they are only seasonal layer anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by