Laying early, then not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheResidentialFarm, Jun 23, 2017.

1. TheResidentialFarm

TheResidentialFarm In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2017
    Hi all,

I have a group of Black Java pullets. I bought them this spring when they were about 3 months old (the breeder said they had hatched in January, and that ideally they'd start to lay during "fair" which is mid July). They've been maturing at different rates. Some already have red wattles and combs, some are still more tannish and small in the wattle area.

We also have EEs (blue and green eggs) and some Wyandottes that lay cream/light brown eggs. Only 2 of the 4 dotts are laying currently. The other two have never laid for us (had them since late March).

About 5 weeks ago, we found a large, darker brown egg on the floor of the coop. It had a thin, slightly mottled shell and was a little "pinched" looking. We thought maybe a java started laying early, but then no more eggs. A couple weeks later (a couple weeks ago), we found another larger, darker, pinched floor egg with a thin shell. Then nothing.

Do some pullets lay a couple random eggs long before they start regularly laying? Or is it more likely that one of the dotts (they are about a year old) laid those eggs and has darker eggs than the others?

Does anyone else raise this breed? I couldn't find an image of Black Java eggs on the internet to save my life. Just the description of "brown."

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Got my Puppy

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Java tend to be slow to mature, and I don't think they lay very much, so it's possible one is laying an egg here and there. Pictures might help to see if any look ready to lay.

3. Radena

Radena Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Oregon
    Has anyone else had a hen (Redstar) that seems to just lay with out knowingly knowing it. She has slipped eggs out while on the roost. Or out in the yard. No rhyme or reason. Just opps!!! Radena!

4. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Pullets, when they come into lay, sometimes don't know what the new experience is, and don't lay in the nest box. In time, they get the hang of it. It's not unusual for pullets coming into lay, to lay sporadic eggs at first, until they become more consistent. Their eggs are sometimes smaller, then become more normal in size in time. The coloring may be a bit off, at first too.

5. Radena

Radena Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Oregon
    She's been laying since December. The eggs are normal size. I dont know which hen is doing it. They all look alike.

6. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Radena, my post was directed mostly to TheResidentialFarm. Yes, I've had one, or two that occasionally would do that for a little while, then resume laying in the nest box. Check the nest box situation, and make sure the nesting material is fresh, that there are no predators, and that she's not being run off the nest by another hen. It only takes a few times of another hen running them off the nest, for them to stop trying to lay in the nest box for awhile.

7. TheResidentialFarm

TheResidentialFarm In the Brooder

Jun 8, 2017
    Thanks, @getaclue ! It's good to know pullets can have a few early eggs.

@oldhenlikesdogs , I know Javas aren't top layers, but people (at least the breeder we bought ours from) report regular laying from what I've heard. They should be on par with our EEs that each put out 4-5 eggs per week.

I'll try and get some pictures of them today. A couple seem to be at the "any day now" stage, while others look like they'll need another month.

oldhenlikesdogs and getaclue like this.
  8. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have a hen, Blondie, twice she popped an egg out, right in front of me in the pen, just standing there. Like she's showing off or something. I think she's too lazy to run to the nest box. I find an egg in the pen 2 or 3 times a month. She'll be 15 months old Friday. If I don't get 5 eggs in the nest boxes, I am searching the pen. Oh yeah she's a red sex-links/ Golden Comet. GC

Radena likes this.
  9. Radena

Radena Chirping

Sep 25, 2016
    Oregon
    Okay! The weird part is she lays when she is on the roost. Ploop!

10. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I found one under the roost when I opened the coop at 5am this morning. It's dented with a thin shell, but not broken. GC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: