Laying EE??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
I have two EE and two true Ameraucanas that aren't laying yet. The Am. are 28weeks old tomorrow..the EE are 24 weeks old... I am trying very hard to figure out if they are even close to being ready to lay......

So, could you all post pictures of your mature EE and/or Ameraucanas--ones that are at least laying... so I can compare my girls..They have very little comb/wattles so it's really hard to decide if they are even turning red....they still look very pink to me...

Thank you for any/all pictures/ ideas..Dixie

EE's can take 30 weeks to start laying. My EE's are pretty dainty and didn't lay until 26 and 28 weeks, if I remember correctly.

Be patient...you are so close.

As long as they are eating mainly layer feed with the recommended percentage of protein, they should be any day now.

If they have access to a lot of scratch or snacks, you might want to cut them back if they are ignoring the layer feed.

Thank you.. they get a big variety of 'snacks' because they don't free range except for a hour or two in the evening and I don't want them to be bored... I give them crickets, a mixture of seeds-- millet, milo, BOSS, peanuts, pecans, raisins and dark green veggies hang in their cage type feeder. I do not feed corn... They have access to laying pellets only (meaning they are locked up with the pellets and fresh water) until about 7:30 in the morning and they eat it very well--or a lot! They have access to it all day long.. They have fresh water (changed twice daily).. It has FINALLY cooled off a bit so I am hoping that will help..

I know my other girls are about ready to lay because of their combs and the roo paying attention to them---just concerned about my EE and Am...

Thank you

Last edited:
This is Kiwi- she's been laying about 6 weeks and was a March 3 hatch.

14596_kiwiwalnut.jpg

This is Dovey, who was hatched March 15, who couldn't care less about the idea of laying.

14596_doveywalnut.jpg

This is CindyLou Who (the smallest beard of all), and she's from the 15th as well, as is the next, Ms. Owl. They don't lay yet, either.

14596_cindylouwho.jpg

14596_msowlunderporch.jpg

They don't even squat!

I have 2 EE's. Both of them are 26 weeks old. One is laying, one isn't. The rooster "paying attention" to them, doesn't mean anything. My EE rooster, who is the same age as them has been trying to cover anything that moves since he was 15 weeks old.

Basically its a waiting game. I would definitely cut back on the number of treats and increase their protein.

Laurie

Thank you all...

Thanks for the vibes, Mary!!! How are your girls doing?? Getting lots of eggs? I got seven eggs today and I was thrilled but no blue, green or pink ones... Just different shadeds of brown from my RIR, BO, BR.... I have the game camera set up hoping to see a EE or Ameraucana in the nest...but NO... Oh, well...soon, I hope..Dixie

Back
Top Bottom