laying egg in run and pooping while laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lissalischicks, Nov 27, 2016.

1. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I have one hen (she is about 10 months old) and she has been laying for about 3 months now. She is laying in the run occasionally. Yesterday I saw her in the nesting box and when I checked the run 15 minutes later I saw her egg in the run. Also, I am finding she is pooping on her egg quite often. Is this something to be concerned about?

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I'm not a chicken psychiatrist, and I don't play one on TV. [​IMG]
    But here is my thought about your situation. Most chickens do not poop in the nest boxes as they are laying. They lay their egg and egress. Then they just poop all day long as they keep walking around and doing whatever chickens do. Your chicken does not have a hard preference as to where to lay eggs. For her the run is just fine. She may go into the nest box to just relax or get away from other bothersome chickens. During her stay she may just need to drop a gumball or two. Then she goes about her activities and when time comes, pops an egg where ever. Remember that nest boxes are mounted so chickens do not choose them for sleeping quarters. This way they choose roosts to spend the night on. Sometimes some of the lower pecking order hens will choose nest boxes for safety assurance.

The first line is not meant to be sarcastic, only funny. It is from an old TV commercial for some kind of medicine, and don't remember which that started with this line... " I'm not a doctor , and I don't play one on TV.

WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    Thanks for the information. Do you think a nesting box in the run would help? I notice she lays the egg outside when she didn't get her "preferred nesting box" inside.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It always seems that for example, you have 15 chickens and 6 nest boxes. Only one or two boxes get used by all of them. Sometimes if box is large enough, more than one hen will be inside at same time. Make a nest box inside your run and see what happens. Some things to consider, are the location of it. Try to place it in a private type area, and preferably in a slightly shaded/darkened spot. Chickens do like privacy when laying eggs. They will still lay regardless, but you do get the point of their preference.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, how many birds and how many nests do you have?
    How big is your coop in feet by feet?
    She may be being bullied......or it is crowded.
    Using fake eggs/golf balls in all the nests can help 'spread the love'.

6. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I have a run that is 10' x 16' and the raised coop is 4' x 4'. They don't hang out in the coop - they only use it for sleeping or to get to the nesting box. They also have access to the backyard at least half of the day. I have 3 nesting boxes. She is the lowest in the pecking order for the most part. The only time she gets picked on is when she starts knocking everyone over for treats. But the hen highest in the pecking order allow it until she gets mad and will put her in her place. Today she got her into one of her box and laid her egg in the nesting box. She said in it for hours and when I went to clean the run she was chatting to me the whole time and purring. Everyone likes the same box and then there is the next favorite. The third box is not everyone's favorite but they will sit in it if needed but it is the ultimate last resort. Tried the fake eggs and golf balls but they wouldn't sit in the box until I removed them.

7. Annamaria P

Annamaria P New Egg

Nov 18, 2016
    My hens, Road Island Reds, are 5 months old, live in a large pen with a beautiful chicken house with 7 laying boxes. I keep a heat lamp on in the chicken house during freezing temperatures. They enjoy a superb diet and are laying average 8 eggs a day from 12 hens. Life is good.
    But, they only use their house to lay eggs and at night huddled together on the ground instead of roosting inside their chicken house. Any suggestions as to why that would be?
    Annamaria Picollo

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds?

Yeah, I've had a pullet 'afraid' of the fake eggs at first.....so usually leave one nest without a fakie when they first start laying...but they get used to them.

9. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I have 5 hens in all.

10. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    To Annamarie P:

This hasn't happened to me, but my friend had this problem. Someone suggested to her to put them in the house manually on the roost as they might not understand it is the place to sleep. She said it took a couple days before they seemed to get the picture.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by