laying eggs anywhere they want

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coltssuperbowl83, Sep 20, 2011.

1. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    I have a small flock of about 24 hens. I get about 10 eggs a day and just recently found a nest of eggs by my pool that contained about 30 chicken eggs [​IMG] . I have nesting boxes in my coop where most of my hens lay but i obviously have a few hens that are laying eggs in there own designated spots that they have deemed "perfect" for them. How do i teach those hens to lay in the nesting boxes? My hens are let out at 7AM and are locked back up at dark or whenever the rooster decides to go to bed so they are out free ranging all day. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    anyone?

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I would suggest keeping them locked up for a couple of weeks, so they get used to laying in the coop. And when you start letting them out again, maybe let them out a little later in the day.., if your circumstances allow it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Hi! I just posted a question the other day entitled, "is the "egg song" a real song?" If you search it you can see some of the really good answers I got. One thing I had never considered before was that chickens are not all morning layers. Some of them lay in the afternoon. The poster I learned that from (on about page 4) mentioned that she kept her girls "cooped" up for several days until they learned to use the nesting boxes, before she let them out to forage for any length of time. I guess it's all about establishing a routine.

Hope you find something helpful!

mm

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    do you have broody hens wanting to sit on those eggs? They may not like the boxes because they dont feel secure. They want to hatch eggs in the most secure spot possible

6. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Quote:Yep what she said, keep them in the coop til they all lay then let them out, or maybe you need more nest boxes, or make yours dark and out of the way, and let them out later in the day,

7. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    lock them up for a couple of days until they begin to lay in the boxes again, as well as put big rock were they used to lay so that it is no longer comfortable for them to lay there anymore.

8. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    Ditto the above two, keep them locked in the coop.

YOu can also put golf balls or fake eggs in the nests to give them a visual clue that this is a safe place to lay. It also helps to disturb the area they were laying so they won't go back (which means they might find another secret location)

They look for shady, covered spots. We often find eggs in the tall grass, that would have been shaded in the morning, but is exposed in the afternoon, or in buckets laying on their sides, or an overturned trash can. We've even found them in our compost bin.

9. coltssuperbowl83

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    ok sounds great guys i will keep them locked up for a couple of days. We will see what happens........Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by