Laying eggs around the yard/no eggs for 3 days from 1 chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dobee13, Oct 23, 2013.

1. dobee13

dobee13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Bay Area
    My Coop
    Hi all

My post has 2 parts:
    1) I let these ladies roam free in the yard. My silver wyandotte has burrowed under the daisy bushes and lays there vs the coop (which is where she started and laid for past week). Let her be?
    2) Haven't had an egg from my easter egg chicken in 3 days. I did find an egg out in the yard on Sunday...since then nothing. I have checked everywhere and so have the kids -- literally like an easter egg hunt. Could I be missing it? Other reasons I should consider?

**These hens started laying 3 weeks ago**

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    if you really want them laying in the coop, my suggestion is to mess up the area where the wyandotte is laying (place a rock there or something) and keep them all locked in the coop til early afternoon or all day until you are getting the eggs from all of them, then let them out. once they are all laying in the coop again you can let them free range whenever, if you end up not getting eggs again just keep them locked up and do it all over again until they get the message.

3. boyswillbeboys

boyswillbeboys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    once I found my first egg, the girls were locked up from sundown till 3pm, I still found 4 eggs tucked in a little hidy hole. Today is the first day I let them out before noon, my max on any given day in the last week was exceeded, by 10 AM, so I let them out, and found 3 more an hour later, in the nest box, It really works to keep them in, mine have been in for 9 days, they were so happy to be let out early this morning.

4. dobee13

dobee13 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2013
    Bay Area
    My Coop
    This is great advice. They go in at sundown and then I let them out at 3 pm. I kept them in all day yesterday and found the easter egger egg...not the wyandotte. So I will keep them in until I find a few days/times of eggs laid. The other 2 hens (another easter egger & speckled sussex) have not laid yet. Will be interesting to see how many eggs I get by not letting them out. Poor girls...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by