laying eggs but now pecking the wire on coop

mrst08

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 26, 2013
I have 2 speckled sussexs and 1 buff orp... one of them has just started laying just a few days ago... 2 eggs so far. I'm exactly sure which one but pretty sure it is the larger and noisier of the sussex's..... She seems to be a lil different all of a sudden... she keeps pacing back and forth in the coop run and pecking at the wire sides. Why??? And how do I train them to lay in the nesting boxes??? HELP!

You can try placing fake eggs in the nest boxes to give them a clue to lay in the boxes.

My hens do a pace routine along fence for awhile when they are ready to drop an egg and another is in the spot they want to lay the egg in. I have had problem to getting them go into nests at all, they drop them in corners of run. They are a year old now and ignore nesting boxes. I tried the fake porcelain/clay/ wood eggs and they kicked them out and played with them by kicking, pecking them all over the place. When new coop is done I hope I have better luck.

okay thanks.... I just want to make sure they are all happy and wasn't sure if that was a sign she wasn't ?? thanks again... will try the fake eggs and see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom