laying eggs but now pecking the wire on coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrst08, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    I have 2 speckled sussexs and 1 buff orp... one of them has just started laying just a few days ago... 2 eggs so far. I'm exactly sure which one but pretty sure it is the larger and noisier of the sussex's..... She seems to be a lil different all of a sudden... she keeps pacing back and forth in the coop run and pecking at the wire sides. Why??? And how do I train them to lay in the nesting boxes??? HELP!

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    You can try placing fake eggs in the nest boxes to give them a clue to lay in the boxes.

My hens do a pace routine along fence for awhile when they are ready to drop an egg and another is in the spot they want to lay the egg in. I have had problem to getting them go into nests at all, they drop them in corners of run. They are a year old now and ignore nesting boxes. I tried the fake porcelain/clay/ wood eggs and they kicked them out and played with them by kicking, pecking them all over the place. When new coop is done I hope I have better luck.

3. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    okay thanks.... I just want to make sure they are all happy and wasn't sure if that was a sign she wasn't ?? thanks again... will try the fake eggs and see if that helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by