Laying eggs fast?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenssss, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chickenssss

chickenssss New Egg

Jul 7, 2012
    So we came home to find one of our hens in a nest she had made of hay in the barn...sitting on it as if she were trying to hatch something. But we don't have a rooster..Soo, I picked her up and set her to the side. There were about a dozen eggs under her. I picked up two and they were just like any other egg we have had so I turned to look at the chicken and there were two more eggs in maybe 1 or 2 minutes..does this mean she is sick? Or that we do have a rooster, maybe in the new chicks we had got this past spring? Any ideas?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens don't need a rooster around to have their broody instincts kick in, maybe there are so many eggs because she layed them there on different days or your other hens layed their eggs in her nest.

3. chickenssss

chickenssss New Egg

Jul 7, 2012
    They're definitely all from her, she's the only one that flies out of the coop, and we were thinking they were from different days too until she laid two eggs right in front of us within 2 minutes.

4. chickenssss

chickenssss New Egg

Jul 7, 2012
    Everyone else lays in the nesting boxed and she typically does too, that's why we thought it was odd for her to lay them in the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by