Laying eggs from 5 ft roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TigerLilly, Nov 23, 2010.

1. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I know this is going to sound silly...
    Is it possible for a hen to lay an egg from a roost that high & not have it break? I have a dirt floor with maybe 2 inches of pine shavings.
    I got home late yesterday after being gone since early in the day, so I didn't check for eggs until after dark. Naturally, I checked in the nest boxes, found 2 eggs & was happy as a clam.
    This morning I went out to collect eggs & found one in each nest, turned around & found one on the ground, right under the roost. It wasn't even close to one of the ends of the roost, which would make it in the middle of the floor area. If I'd been a little careless, I'd have stepped on the egg.
    I know it's possible for one of the hens to lay it on the ground, but usually when they've done that it's been in a corner.
    I sooo confused!

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's very possible. Most of the "roost" eggs that I've gotten are from pullets that are just starting to lay. I think they get taken by surprise sometimes and don't head to the nestbox in time--same thing with "yard" eggs. Pullet eggs also tend to have really hard shells and I'm pretty sure that's why so many of the roost eggs survive intact.

3. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Now that you mention it, it did look like a 'rookie' egg--smaller than 'normal' for a bo or br. Also a different shade than what I've been seeing.
    Yay--that means I might have 4 out of 5 laying!

4. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, haven't found any more roost eggs & I'm now getting 3 eggs a day. Looks like she's figured out how to get to the nest box to lay!

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Yay for another layer!

Funny story on a side note- I dewormed my chickens a few months back and didn't know what to do with the eggs, (during the withdrawal time period) so we ended up collecting them every morning and have a throwing contest out onto the hillside... you would be AMAZED to watch an egg being thrown 50 feet into a gully and watch it bounce and roll down the hill... I know I was!!! [​IMG]

6. TigerLilly

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yay is right!

I have come to notice that store-bought eggs are not as hard-shelled as my farm fresh eggs.

Side note...the cat in your avatar looks just like mine!

7. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Could be practice for an upcoming bombing run. [​IMG]

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I think I got one this morning. When I went to let out the girks there was an egg under the roost. that roost is over my head about 6.5 feet up.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I found an egg today under the roost not broken yea. I let them out yesterday around 330 & one was on the nest. But she wanted to get out & run around so off she went. I think, who really knows . She returned after free ranging flew up to roost & it was to dark to go back to the nest. So, she launched it.

10. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Any ideas on how to get them to stop laying from the roost? I know these roost eggs are coming from my Wellies--they are just starting to lay. I found TWO broken, frozen eggs underneath where the three wellies roost together. They roost close enough to the ledge around the inside my coop, so they are landed on the wooden ledge and broke, and froze overnight! YARG!!!! any suggestions? I don't want the others to acquire a taste for eggs and become egg-eaters!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by