Laying eggs from the roost...kerplop!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anitalogan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. anitalogan

anitalogan Out Of The Brooder

We have just finished a new coop with a lovely roost and are trying to get the chickens used to it. They keep going back to their old coop, wanting to lay, but it is shut up tight and will soon be gone. At least they have no problem being tucked in at night. Here is my problem. One or more of the 3 hens is laying eggs from the roost. This results in scrambled eggs on the poop board. I am completely at a loss here. Any ideas or comments?

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I had one lay from the roost a few days ago. They are usually really good about using the nest boxes. Fortunately I use the deep litter method and there was plenty of cushion below. I don't use a poop board, but maybe you could try putting a little straw or hay for cushion for a few days until they get back into the swing of things.

3. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    take a long box and put some hay in it so when they lay it ends up in the box!!! [​IMG]

4. Coldweatherbirds

Coldweatherbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have one who does this. She also drops eggs wherever. I've found them in the middle of the yard, next to the water bucket, under the dryer vent. My husband says he saw her walking and one just fell out of her?????

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:That's funny!

I had one that laid when I was holding her! The egg fell on the ground and didn't break:yiipchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by