Laying eggs in coop question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nvchicken, Sep 11, 2016.

1. nvchicken

nvchicken New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    I'm new to chickens and currently have 4 hens that are almost 4 months old. They sleep in a 4'x4' coop with a small door and have access to a 16'x8' run during the day. The coop is fairly small and they are ready to get out in the morning. My question is, if I put nesting boxes in the coop will they go back in there during the day to lay eggs? I never see them in the coop during the day, they only go in right before dark. I don't want them laying in the run if possible. Would it be better to put my nesting boxes in a back corner of the run? Thanks!

2. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    They will probably want to go back in the coop to lay, so I think you need a couple nesting boxes. Typically they prefer a dark secluded spot where they can be private and feel their eggs will be safe. Make sure you place them where it will be easy for you to collect the eggs.
    If you don't think you have room in the coop, box in a little area in the run, but near the coop where they can nest. They really don't mind laying directly on the ground.

3. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    Our chicken coops are in our dog run. We have 1/2 an acre and the dog run is pretty good size. During the grasshopper season, like now, when we let the girls out into the main part of the back yard if they haven't laid their egg for the day you will see them do their funny little run across the yard into the dog run, into their run, into their coop to their nesting box. It is the funniest sight to see.

If one is in the nesting box when we let them out, you will hear them sing their little song and then the reverse happens.

4. lissalischicks

lissalischicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    My nesting boxes is attached to the coop. The chickens do leave the coop in the morning and when they feel the need to lay their egg they run in and out until the actually decide it's time. I would put the nesting box sooner than later because I noticed with my chickens, before they start laying they start going in and out of the nesting box to test them out.

My nesting box is accessible without going in the run.

[​IMG]

View fro the inside. The chicken going into the box. The black one isn't laying eggs yet but she going in and out of the nesting box and occasionally watch the other chickens.
    [​IMG]

5. nvchicken

nvchicken New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    Yeah I figured they should be in the coop. I just don't know if the coop is big enough to put some nesting boxes in there. I might end up building a bigger coop so everyone and everything fits nicely.

1 person likes this.
  6. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    My coop is 4 x 4 as well. My nesting box is attached to the coop so none of the space inside is compromised. They say 2 nesting boxes for every 2 chickens .... but I don't know about anyone else, my chickens fight (more like squawk their head off) over the same nesting box. My friend has her nesting boxes in the run and they are about 4 feet off the ground. Her chickens don't seem to have a problem with that as well.

7. nvchicken

nvchicken New Egg

Sep 11, 2016
    lissalischicks, how many chickens do you have that use your coop?

8. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    And then don't be surprised, no matter how many boxes you have they will all decide they all want to use the one that one of your girls is using at the moment!

We get the biggest kick how one will be in laying and any one will come in and start yelling up a storm because she wants "THAT" box, never mind she has 6 other boxes to choose from. [​IMG] I have to say, I don't think we will ever be without chickens for the rest of our lives. They are the most entertaining little critters. [​IMG]

9. lissalischicks

Jan 31, 2016
    Los Angeles, California
    I have 5 chickens all together. Like the nesting boxes they all want the same "prime" area even though there is another roosting bar free of any chickens. I feel there is still plenty of room in the box so I think you will be fine.

The nesting box wars are hilarious. I had one yesterday sitting in a box, ran outside because she thought treats were being given. Then another chicken swooped in and sat in the box so when the first chicken came in she was not happy to say the least. Her displeasure was quite loud. [​IMG] When I first got chickens people used to say they are dumb and boring. I can officially say they are wrong and obviously did not have chickens.

10. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I have a very similar setup, 4x4 coop and a 8x15 run, for 5 hens.
    My nest boxes hang off the back. But I think you could put a box in the coop if you dont wan to modify the coop.
    They will all most likely lay in the same box anyway,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by