laying eggs in only 1 box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bethrene, Dec 14, 2008.

1. bethrene

bethrene New Egg

Jul 8, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Our chickens are laying eggs! We find 3-4 everyday. However, right now they are only laying in one of the laying boxes we built for them. Sometimes we find an egg outside that laying box, as if a chicken was waiting in line and just couldn't wait anymore. I don't know why they don't lay in the other boxes we made for them. We have tried moving the eggs and some of the straw to the other three boxes, but that hasn't worked. The boxes are all in a row and they only lay in the end one. Is there something I can do? We have 10 hens and as they all begin to lay, I am worried about them not being able to get into the one box that is deemed OK.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It's what they do. You can try putting a fake egg or golf ball in the others... but mine all share one box too.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    hens will wait sometimes if another chicken is laying in a box i have some thatwill lay all the eggs in one nest i have 7 boxes and they only use three to lay in

4. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    I bought a couple ceramic eggs at Hobby Lobby and it did the trick to make them lay in other areas. Golf balls didn't work for me but I've heard they do work.

jeremy

5. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    I have 10 hens and today I got 10 eggs...all in the same box!! Go figure! lol

6. bethrene

bethrene New Egg

Jul 8, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    [​IMG] Thank you, Everyone. Now I know I don't have to worry that I did something wrong.

Thanks!

7. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I have 6 laying hens and two nest boxes. I am very glad I did not waste the material for a third box...they all lay in the same box...all the time! I have placed golf balls, fake eggs, etc in all the boxes but they either knock them out or put them in their favorite box! I have one BO that loves to sit on everyones eggs! When we get home from work/school..there she is sitting on 5 to 6 eggs everyday. We take them from her (a little protest on her end) and then she either gets down and goes on with her day or she tucks the golf balls and fake eggs back under and proceeds to sit on them. Silly girls!

8. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i have 8 hens that ALL lay in 1 box,,, and you should hear the screaming of waiting hens,,, ive tried everything,,, but still,,, 1 box, and alot of chatter,,,lol,,, but now i LIKE it,, makes gathering fast and simple [​IMG]

9. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    And here is the proof. Two in the nesting box..and one waiting not so patiently to get in! Good grief!!
    [​IMG]

10. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a nice big box after all and they're so social. Plus it's warmer on their tushes. I have 6 boxes and they use three- never the same three, I guess they want to placate me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by